Online information source for semiconductor professionals

News > Wafer Processing

Globalfoundries ready for 20nm evaluations

30 August 2011 | Wafer Processing
Test chips from EDA vendors, Cadence Design Systems, Magma Design Automation, Mentor Graphics and Synopsys have been successfully taped out at Globalfoundries, signalling its readiness for customers to begin evaluating their 20nm designs. Read more >>

Tool Order: TSMC places metrology orders with FEI and KLA-Tencor

30 August 2011 | Wafer Processing
Leading foundry, TSMC has recently placed a batch of accumulated purchase orders with two metrology tool specialists, KLA-Tencor and FEI. A regular recipient, KLA-Tencor received orders worth approximately US$30.9 million from mid-July through to mid-August. Read more >>

X-FAB and Micronas to form partnership

26 August 2011 | Wafer Processing

X-FABX-FAB Silicon Foundries Group is to form a strategic partnership with sensor and IC systems-provider Micronas.

Read more >>

Tool Order: TSMC purchases more equipment from Applied Materials

17 August 2011 | Wafer Processing
Although the bigger value orders seen placed by TSMC in the earlier part of the year have vanished again, Applied Materials is continuing to pick-up regular small to mid-sized equipment orders from the leading foundry. Read more >>

Tool Order: TSMC purchases equipment from Novellus Systems

11 August 2011 | Wafer Processing
Top foundry, TSMC has placed accumulated purchase orders since mid-April worth approximately US$18.6 million with Novellus Systems. Popular with other Taiwan-based IC manufacturers such as TSMC rival, UMC and memory manufacturer, Inotera, officially released purchase orders from TSMC to Novellus have been limited in 2011.

Normal trade terms have been applied to the purchases, which include 90% of total payment within 30 days after shipment and the remaining 10% within 30 days after acceptance. Read more >>

Tool order: Samsung selects Nanometrics ‚??UniFire‚?? metrology tool for advanced wafer scale packag

08 August 2011 | Wafer Processing
Samsung Electronics has adopted Nanometrics ‘UniFire’ metrology tool for advanced wafer scale packaging after successfully completing evaluations for development of through-silicon via (TSV) technology. Nanometrics’ said that its UniFire system has now been adopted by five of the top seven semiconductor manufacturers worldwide for wafer scale packaging for advanced TSV and micro bump process control. Read more >>

Tool Order: UMC places equipment orders with Applied Materials worth US$17.95 million

25 July 2011 | Wafer Processing
Though not competing with major rivals, TSMC and Globalfoundries in the capital expenditure stakes in 2011, UMC is still placing strategic orders with equipment suppliers this year. The latest order from UMC is with Applied Materials, valued at approximately US$17.95 million.
Read more >>

Tool Order: TSMC places batch of tool orders with KLA-Tencor

25 July 2011 | Wafer Processing
Leading foundry, TSMC has placed a new batch of equipment purchase orders with metrology leader, KLA-Tencor. Following-on from a US$44 million order, earlier this year, the value of the latest TSMC order is approximately US$29.1 million. Read more >>

SEMICON: CEA-Leti claims major advance in RF MEMS switch fabrication process

13 July 2011 | Wafer Processing
A major advance has been achieved in the reliability of RF MEMS electrostatic actuators, according to CEA-Leti. The research organisation said that its RF MEMS switch technology has reached a new level of maturity, allowing it to provide customers with a significantly improved manufacturing process. Read more >>

SEMICON: Globalfoundries collaborating with Intermolecular on deposition processes

13 July 2011 | Wafer Processing
A multiyear Collaborative Development Program (CDP) and IP licensing agreement has been signed between Globalfoundries and Intermolecular to enable a fast-track method to develop process modules that will be integrated into the foundry’s fabs, worldwide. Most of the development work will be performed at Intermolecular’s HPC (High Productivity Combinatorial) R&D Center in San Jose, California. Read more >>