In anticipation of the mid-year update to the McClean Report, IC Insights has revealed some of the industry figures that are sure to bring a glimmer of hope to the formerly ailing semiconductor industry. Citing a 16% rebound in the IC market in the second quarter of 2009, such revelations as a 30% growth rate in the DRAM market, a 12% increase in ASPs and a 20% increase in total worldwide IC unit shipments are sure to dispel the gloo
m surrounding the industry.
The two most difficult consecutive quarters in the history of the IC industry, 4Q08 and 1Q09, have passed and the update to the McClean Report looks like it will bring some much-welcomed positivity to the industry.
Here is a list of the findings that will be analysed in more detail following publication of the Report:
- DRAM market grew over 30%
- DRAM average selling price (ASP) was up 12%
- Analog IC unit volume shipments increased over 30%
- Microcontroller unit volume shipments increased over 25%
- DSP unit volume shipments increased over 40%
- Display driver market was up 25%
- Total worldwide IC unit shipments were up over 20%
- Total worldwide IC market was up 16%.
According to the IC Insights news release: “Although the IC inventory replenishment surge in 2Q09 is expected to take away some of the momentum of 3Q09, the second half of the year still looks strong…Now that the worst is over, this is the time to prepare for the growth that lies ahead.”